Successful Freelancing for Web Designers
Being a great Web designer or developer is one thing — running a successful freelance business another. Whether you already have work experience in companies or have just graduated from design school, being self-employed entails a number of tasks that you most likely haven’t had to deal with so far. As a freelance Web designer, you also have to be a project manager, office administrator, accountant, controller and IT expert.
The eBook is a summary, a “best of” compilation of articles about professional freelancing that have been published on Smashing Magazine and Noupe in 2009 and 2010. We re-arranged everything, corrected it carefully, added beautiful illustrations and — where necessary — updated the content. Many screenshots and links were removed to make the book easier to read and print.
The eBook, in PDF format, is ideal for archiving, for arm chair or mobile reading and, of course, for printing. In addition to the 21 published articles, the eBook contains 2 exclusive newly written pieces, with 20 exclusive beautiful illustrations by Ricardo Gimenes.
The book is not protected by DRM and is available exclusively in the Smashing Shop. Please respect our work and the hard efforts of our writers. If you have received this book from a source other than the Smashing Shop, please support us by purchasing your copy in our online store.
The authors are: Robert Bowen, Tim Mercer, Cameron Chapman, Paul Boag, Andrew Follett, Sam Barnes, Graham Smith, Ryan Scherf, Aurimas Adomavicius, Andy Rutledge, Luke Reimer, Rob Smith, Jeff Gardner, Peter Smart, Aaron Griffith, Alyssa Gregory and Thursday Bram.
Table of Contents
In the 264 pages, spread over four chapters, you will read:
1. Basic Skills of Freelance Web Designers
- Essential Habits of An Effective Professional Freelancer
- Common Questions of Web Designers
- The Designer Who Delivers
- Critical Mistakes Freelancers Make
- The Importance of Customer Service
- Creatively Handling the Admin Side of Freelancing
- Pitching Like a Pro
- The Finances of Freelancing96
2. Communication with Clients & Partners
- How To Identify and Deal With Different Types Of Clients
- 5 Simple Tips for Improving Designer-Client Relationships
- How to Communicate with Developers Effectively
- How to Educate Your Clients on Web Development
- How to Explain to Clients that They Are Wrong
- How to Respond Effectively to Design Criticism
- How to Persuade Your Users, Boss or Clients
- How to Create the Perfect Client Questionnaire
3. Marketing – Convincing Strategies for Freelancers
- Getting Clients: Approaching the Company
- Converting Prospects into Clients
- Marketing Rules and Principles for Freelancers
- How Many Ideas Do You Show Your Clients?
4. Contracts & Pricing
- Freelance Contracts: Do’s And Don’t’s
- What’s In A Price: Guidelines For Pricing Web Designs
- Quality-Price-Ratio in Web Design
- Paperback: 263 pages
- Publisher: Smashing Media (June, 2010)
- Language: English