Prototyping Augmented Reality
Learn to create augmented reality apps using Processing open-source programming language
Augmented reality (AR) is used all over, and you may not even realize it. Smartphones overlay data onto live camera views to show homes for sale, restaurants, or historical sites. American football broadcasts use AR to show the invisible first-down line on the field to TV viewers. Nike and Budweiser, among others, have used AR in ads. Now, you can learn to create AR prototypes using 3D data, Processing open-source programming language, and other languages. This unique book is an easy-to-follow guide on how to do it.
- Guides you through the emerging technology of Augmented Reality (AR)
- Shows you how to use 3D data with the Processing programming environment and other languages to create AR prototypes for the web, smartphones, Macs, and PCs
- Helps 3D artists and designers who want to move into the AR market but don’t have programming skills
- Covers the essentials of 3D programming, creating objects for an AR library, building and exporting 3D models, and much more
- Explains how to interactively link 3D to physical, virtual, and streaming environments
Author Tony Mullen is both an artist and a programmer and perfectly suited to explain how to bridge these two worlds, as he so deftly does in Prototyping with Augmented Reality.
From the Back Cover
The art and science of creating AR
Augmented reality (AR)—placing virtual content over live video—has progressed from an emerging technology into one of today’s hottest interactive design trends. Artists and designers with little or no programming experience can quickly learn how to create AR using a variety of opensource and proprietary tools such as Processing programming language, Blender animation software, Arduino, Flash, and others.
Covering the creation of AR for smartphones, Macs, PCs, and the web, this thorough guide is packed with smart software techniques, usable code, hardware pointers, modeling and prototyping basics, and more. AR is art and programming, and CG and programming expert Tony Mullen seamlessly blends both to help you create fun, effective, augmented reality.
- Move into AR, even if you have limited programming skills
- Get up to speed on the AR terminology and tools you’ll need
- Explore the essentials of Processing and 3D programming
- Learn Blender basics and design low-poly animated characters
- Create objects for an AR library and build and export 3D models
- Interactively link your AR to physical, virtual, and streaming environments
- Explore using ActionScript programming for browser-based AR
- Create AR for the Android platform and other smartphones
- Paperback: 280 pages
- Publisher: Sybex (October 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118036638
- ISBN-13: 978-1118036631