Professional NFC Application Development for Android
A practical guide to developing and deploying Near Field Communication (NFC) applications
There has been little practical guidance available on NFC programming, until now. If you’re a programmer or developer, get this unique and detailed book and start creating apps for this exciting technology. NFC enables contactless mobile communication between two NFC-compatible devices. It’s what allows customers to pay for purchases by swiping their smartphones with Google Wallet, for example. This book shows you how to develop NFC applications for Android, for all NFC operating modes: reader/writer, peer-to-peer, and card emulation.
The book starts with the basics of NFC technology, an overview of the Android OS, and what you need to know about the SDK tools. It then walks you through all aspects of NFC app development, including SE programming. You’ll find all you need to create an app, including functioning, downloadable code and a companion website with additional content. Valuable case studies help you understand each operating mode in clear, practical detail.
- Shows programmers and developers how to develop Near Field Communication (NFC) applications for Android, including Secure Element (SE) programming
- Expert authors are NFC researchers who have a deep knowledge of the subject
- Covers app development in all NFC operating modes: reader/writer, peer-to-peer, and card emulation
- Includes valuable case studies that showcase several system design and analysis methods, such as activity diagram, class diagram, UML, and others
Professional NFC Application Development for Android offers the clear, concise advice you need to create great applications for this emerging and exciting technology.
From the Back Cover
Everything you need to start building killer NFC Android apps right away
With the popularity of apps like Google Wallet and Android Beam, users are increasingly demanding NFC-enabled applications for their Android devices. Every day sees new apps coming online for everything from smart posters to social networking, health monitoring to ticket purchasing.
Yet, surprisingly, until now, there have been few practical guides available for developing NFC apps for Android.
Written for experienced Android programmers, this book delivers:
- What you need to know about the NFC APIs in Android
- Practical coverage of all operating modes-reader/writer, peer-to-peer, and card emulation
- Guidance on working with Android’s NFC Tag Intent Dispatch System
- Details of performing Peer-to-Peer Transactions
- Real-life case studies illustrating development for smart poster, remote shopping, game programming, peer-to-peer messaging, and other NFC systems
- Tons of valuable source code to help streamline the development process
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Overview of Near Field Communication
Chapter 2. NFC Essentials for Application Developers
Chapter 3. Getting Started with Android
Chapter 4. Android Software Development Primer
Chapter 5. NFC Programming: Reader/Writer Mode
Chapter 6. Reader/Writer Mode Applications
Chapter 7. NFC Programming: Peer-to-Peer Mode
Chapter 8. Peer-to-Peer Mode Applications
Chapter 9. NFC Programming: Card Emulation Mode
Appendix A. URI Prefixes for NDEF
Appendix B. Android NFC Packages
- Paperback: 308 pages
- Publisher: Wrox (April 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118380096
- ISBN-13: 978-1118380093