Pro Oracle SQL, 2nd Edition
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition unlocks the power of SQL in the Oracle database—one of the most potent SQL implementations on the market today. To master it requires a multi-pronged approach: learn the language features, learn how and why the language features work, learn the supporting features that Oracle provides to help use the language effectively, and learn to think and work in sets.
Karen Morton has updated the content for Oracle version 12c and helps you master powerful aspects of Oracle SQL from the inside-out. You’ll learn analytic functions, the MODEL clause, and advanced grouping syntax—features that will help in creating good queries for reporting and business intelligence applications. Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition also helps you minimize parsing overhead, read execution plans, test for correct results, understand performance management, and exert control over SQL execution in your database. You’ll learn when to create indexes, how to verify that they make a difference, how to use SQL Baselines and Profiles to optimize and stabilize SQL execution plans, and much more. You’ll also understand how SQL is optimized for working in sets, and that the key to getting accurate results lies in making sure that queries ask clear and precise questions.
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition helps you work at a truly professional level in the Oracle dialect of SQL. You’ll master the language, the tools to work effectively with the language, and the right way to think about a problem in SQL.
- Endorsed by the OakTable Network, a group of Oracle technologists well-known for their rigorous and scientific approach to Oracle Database performance
- Comprehensive—goes beyond the language with a focus on what you need to know to write successful queries and data manipulation statements.
- Performance focused—teaches you how to measure the performance of your SQL statements and not just the syntax.
What you’ll learn
- Master powerful SQL features implemented in the Oracle Database
- Understand how the Oracle Optimizer develops execution plans
- Read and interpret SQL execution plans
- Quickly diagnose and fix badly performing SQL
- Control execution plans through hints, profiles, and plan baselines
- Optimize queries within packaged applications without touching the code
- Recognize when not to waste time on SQL that is performing optimally
Who this book is for
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition is aimed at developers and database administrators who submit SQL for execution by an Oracle database. Readers should already know the basic four SQL statements, and be ready to learn deeply about Oracle’s specific implementation of the language, including Oracle-specific features and syntax. Readers should also want to learn about Oracle Database features such as analytic queries, the MODEL clause, and the WITH clause (subquery factoring) that are designed to help developers and database administrators exert control over their SQL environment and its execution.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Core SQL
Chapter 2. SQL Execution
Chapter 3. Access and Join Methods
Chapter 4. SQL Is about Sets
Chapter 5. It’s about the Question
Chapter 6. SQL Execution Plans
Chapter 7. Advanced Grouping
Chapter 8. Analytic Functions
Chapter 9. The MODEL Clause
Chapter 10. Subquery Factoring
Chapter 11. Semijoins and Antijoins
Chapter 12. Indexes
Chapter 13. Beyond the SELECT
Chapter 14. Transaction Processing
Chapter 15. Testing and Quality Assurance
Chapter 16. Plan Stability
Chapter 17. Plan Control
Chapter 18. Miscellaneous SQL Constructs
- Paperback: 580 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 2nd Edition (October 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430262206
- ISBN-13: 978-1430262206