How to Keep Score in Business, 2nd Edition
In How to Keep Score in Business, Second Edition, long-time CEO Robert Follett shows you exactly how to “keep score” in business by reading and interpreting company financials. Step by step, Follett helps you capture crucial insights buried in balance sheets, income statements, and other key reports. Follett shows how to apply core tools for analyzing financial reports and investment opportunities, and demystifies key accounting terms every business decision-maker and investor needs to know. You’ll learn how to uncover a company’s true financial position through its balance sheet and income statements–and identify crucial information those documents may not be showing. Follett demonstrates how to use modern ROI tools to evaluate performance or analyze potential investments; how to track ongoing changes in a company’s financial position; how to build cash flow budgets for more effective planning; and how to use common analysis ratios (without misusing them). Practical from start to finish, this fully updated book won’t transform you into an accountant–but it willhelp you work more confidently with financial professionals, make smarter business decisions, and choose better investments.
From the Back Cover
The Classic Business Accounting Guide for Every Manager and Entrepreneur—Now Fully Updated!
- Uncover crucial insights buried in balance sheets, income statements, and other financial reports
- Master indispensable skills for day-to-day business and investment decision-making
- Learn up-to-the-minute techniques for analyzing ROI, planning cash flow, and identifying business trends
In this classic book, long-time CEO Robert Follett shows you exactly how to “keep score” in business by reading and accurately interpreting company financials. Step by step, Follett helps you capture crucial insights buried in balance sheets, income statements, and other key reports. Follett shows how to apply core tools for analyzing financial reports and investment opportunities, and demystifies key accounting terms every manager and investor needs to know.
Fully updated for today’s tools and techniques, this book will help you work confidently with accountants, auditors, financial analysts, budget directors, controllers, treasurers, bankers, and brokers…and make better business decisions every single day.
A Note from the Author, Long-Time CEO Robert Follett:
“In business, the score is kept in dollars. The accounting system provides the rules for keeping score. This book will teach you those rules.
“I am not an accountant. I started in sales. I moved into product development. I was president of a large company. I became chairman of an even larger company. Along the way, I had to learn financial accounting the hard way.
“I have worked with accountants, auditors, bankers, treasurers, controllers. These experts often flim-flammed me with accounting lingo I didn’t understand. I’ve made almost every dumb mistake that a manager with no financial background can make.
“But I learned. Now I can keep score along with the best. I’ve distilled many years of hard knocks and dumb mistakes into a relatively few pages. When you’re finished studying this book, you will be well on your way to mastery of this indispensable management skill. You will know how to keep score in business.”
This book will help you:
- Bring practical common sense to financial analysis
- Understand what your financial pros are telling you—and what they aren’t
- Evaluate any company’s balance sheet
- Recognize what balance sheets and income statements may be hiding
- Create cash flow budgets that keep you from running out of cash
- Identify changes in a company’s financial position
- Use ROI tools to evaluate performance and analyze investments
- Understand “goodwill,” “working capital,” “acid tests,” and other key concepts
- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: FT Press; 2nd Edition (January 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0132849259
- ISBN-13: 978-0132849258