Cloud Architecture Patterns
If your team is investigating ways to design applications for the cloud, this concise book introduces 11 architecture patterns that can help you take advantage of several cloud-platform services. You’ll learn how each of these platform-agnostic patterns work, when they might be useful in the cloud, and what impact they’ll have on your application architecture. You’ll also see an example of each pattern applied to an application built with Windows Azure.
The patterns are organized into four major topics, such as scalability and eventual consistency, and primer chapters provide background on each topic. With the information in this book, you’ll be able to make informed decisions for designing effective cloud-native applications, where cloud-native applications maximize the value of cloud services while also paying attention to user experience and operational efficiency.
Learn about architectural patterns for:
- Scalability. Discover the advantages of horizontal scaling. Patterns covered include Horizontally Scaling Compute, Queue-Centric Workflow, and Auto-Scaling.
- Big data. Learn how to handle large amounts of data across a distributed system. Eventual consistency is explained, along with the MapReduce and Database Sharding patterns.
- Multitenancy and commodity hardware. Understand how they influence your applications. Patterns covered include Busy Signal and Node Failure.
- Network latency. Learn how to overcome delays due to network latency when building applications for a geographically distributed user base. Patterns covered include Colocation, Valet Key, CDN, and Multi-Site Deployment.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Scalability Primer
Chapter 2. Horizontally Scaling Compute Pattern
Chapter 3. Queue-Centric Workflow Pattern
Chapter 4. Auto-Scaling Pattern
Chapter 5. Eventual Consistency Primer
Chapter 6. MapReduce Pattern
Chapter 7. Database Sharding Pattern
Chapter 8. Multitenancy and Commodity Hardware Primer
Chapter 9. Busy Signal Pattern
Chapter 10. Node Failure Pattern
Chapter 11. Network Latency Primer
Chapter 12. Colocate Pattern
Chapter 13. Valet Key Pattern
Chapter 14. CDN Pattern
Chapter 15. Multisite Deployment Pattern
- Paperback: 182 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media (September 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1449319777
- ISBN-13: 978-1449319779