SQL All-in-One For Dummies, 2nd Edition
The soup-to-nuts guide on all things SQL!
SQL, or structured query language, is the international standard language for creating and maintaining relational databases. It is the basis of all major databases in use today and is essential for the storage and retrieval of database information. This fun and friendly guide takes SQL and all its related topics and breaks it down into easily digestible pieces for you to understand. You’ll get the goods on relational database design, development, and maintenance, enabling you to start working with SQL right away!
- Provides an overview of the SQL language and examines how it is integral for the storage and retrieval of database information
- Includes updates to SQL standards as well as any new features
- Explores SQL concepts, relational database development, SQL queries, data security, database tuning, and more
- Addresses the relationship between SQL and programming as well as SQL and XML
If you’re looking for an up-to-date sequel to the bestelling first edition of SQL All-in-One For Dummies, then this is the book for you!
From the Back Cover
Want to be a database diva or the office’s information oracle? Do it with SQL — here’s how!
SQL does one thing, and it does that better than any other language: it handles data in relational databases. SQL lets you create databases, manipulate the data in them, retrieve information, control who has access, and much more. Whether you’re new to SQL or an old hand who wants to supercharge your database, find help in one of these minibooks!
- The overview — Books I and II give you the nitty-gritty about SQL, relational databases, and the System Development Life Cycle
- If you have queries — learn the fine points of making SQL retrieve exactly what you want from the database and no more
- Safety first — discover the tools SQL provides to protect your vital data and handle any errors that occur
- Integrating SQL with other languages — understand how SQL works with Visual Basic, Java, C++, and XML
- Turbocharge your database — fine-tune and optimize your databases to keep them performing optimally
Visit the companion Web site at www.dummies.com/go/sqlaiofd2e to download a zip file that contains all the sample code used in this book
Open the book and find:
- Details of how SQL works
- SQL data types
- Why the System Development Life Cycle matters
- Directions for structuring SQL queries
- Tips for protecting your database from user errors
- Sample applications you can use
- Ways to track down and eliminate bottlenecks
- Definitions of common SQL terms
8 Books in 1
- SQL Concepts
- Relational Database Development
- SQL Queries
- Data Security
- SQL and Programming
- SQL and XML
- Database Tuning Overview
- Paperback: 744 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 2nd Edition (March, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470929960
- ISBN-13: 978-0470929964