Pro Android Augmented Reality
Augmented reality (AR) offers a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment, where the elements and surroundings are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as graphics and GPS data. It makes a game more real. Your social media app puts you where want to be or go.
Pro Android Augmented Reality walks you through the foundations of building an augmented reality application. From using various software and Android hardware sensors, such as an accelerometer or a magnetometer (compass), you’ll learn the building blocks of augmented reality for both marker- and location-based apps.
Case studies are included in this one-of-a-kind book, which pairs nicely with other Android development books. After reading Pro Android Augmented Reality, you’ll be able to build augmented reality rich media apps or integrate all the best augmented reality into your favorite Android smartphone and/or tablet.
What you’ll learn
- How to use most Android cameras
- How to find the user’s location with GPS data
- How to detect movement and orientation of the device
- How to program against the accelerometer and compass
- How to use the AndAR library in marker recognition
- How to create an artificial horizon for your app
- How to integrate the Google Maps API into AR apps
- How to build enterprise augmented reality apps using the case studies in this book
Who this book is for
This book is for Android developers familiar with Android programming, but new to the camera, accelerometer, magnetometer and building augmented reality applications in general.
Table of Contents
- Applications of Augmented Reality
- Basics of Augmented Reality on the Android Platform
- Adding Overlays
- Artificial Horizons
- Other Features of Augmented Reality
- A Simple App Using AR
- A More Complex Project Using More AR Features
- A Project Using All AR Features
- An AR Game
- Paperback: 346 pages
- Publisher: Apress (July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 143023945X
- ISBN-13: 978-1430239451