Modern web browsers support a whole range of new HTML5 and CSS3 features that make web development fun. But supporting old browsers can make a web developer’s life difficult. With HTML5 Modernizr, you can check for features and deliver a design around them that is not only backward, but also forward compatible.
You will also learn how to implement the bulk of today’s leading CSS3 features not limited to animations, text shadow, content generation, and more. You will also learn to change the page using media queries to determine the dimensions of the page and alter the content accordingly as well as HTML5 features such as localstorage so you can save content to the browser.
You will learn everything you need to know in order to design progressively using feature detection. Prepare your design to not just handle legacy browsers, but additionally for the HTML5 standard features you know will be added into subsequent versions of the browser.
What you will learn from this book
- Use HTML classes to alter the look of the page based on features found.
- Explore how feature detection differs from User Agent Detection.
- The difference between blocking versus nonblocking scripts .
- Create various backgrounds using multiple backgrounds and gradients.
- Draw and animate CSS3 clouds that literally rain features.
- Automatically generate vendor prefixes.
- Use CSS to draw and animate an assortment of shapes and shadows.
Written in an engaging, easy-to-follow style, “Learning Modernizr” is a practical guide for using the feature detection features of HTML5 Modernizr to create forward compatible sites.
Who this book is written for
“Learning Modernizr” is great for developers looking for a broad range of use cases for feature detection. It is particularly meant for web developers who want to take advantage of the cool new HTML5 and CSS5 features but at the same time deliver a design that is not only backward, but forward compatible.
- Paperback: 118 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (December 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1782160221
- ISBN-13: 978-1782160229