HTML5 Games Development by Example: Beginner’s Guide
HTML5 promises to be the hot new platform for online games. HTML5 games work on computers, smartphones, and tablets – including iPhones and iPads. Be one of the first developers to build HTML5 games today and be ready for tomorrow!
The book will show you how to use latest HTML5 and CSS3 web standards to build card games, drawing games, physics games and even multiplayer games over the network. With the book you will build 6 example games with clear step-by-step tutorials.
The book divides into 9 chapters with each one focusing on one topic. We will create 6 games in the book and specifically learn how we draw game objects, animate them, adding audio, connecting players and building physics game with Box2D physics engine.
What you will learn from this book :
- Start nice and simple: build a traditional Ping Pong game with two players playing in one computer.
- Create a CSS3-driven card game with transform and 3D flipping effects.
- Use the Canvas with multiple layers and the Drawing API to create a string untangle game
- Frame-by-frame animation with sprite sheets
- Create HTML5 game audio, and build a piano-based musical game
- Store game data persistently using local storage.
- Building real-time network multiplayer games
- Adding physics to your canvas games using the Box2D physics engine.
Step-by-step example-driven tutorials to create several games from scratch. Each game comes with a specific learning topic in HTML5 or CSS3.
Who this book is written for
This book is for web designers or game developers who want to build browser games with HTML5 and CSS3. You’ll need some background with web development or other programming but no game development experience is necessary.
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (August 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849691266
- ISBN-13: 978-1849691260