Android Recipes, 2nd Edition
Android continues to be one of the leading mobile OS and development platforms driving today’s mobile innovations and the apps ecosystem. Android appears complex, but offers a variety of organized development kits to those coming into Android with differing programming language skill sets.
Android Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second Edition offers more than 100 down-to-earth code recipes, and guides you step-by-step through a wide range of useful topics using complete and real-world working code examples. It’s updated to include the Jelly Bean Android SDK as well as earlier releases.
Instead of abstract descriptions of complex concepts, in Android Recipes, you’ll find live code examples. When you start a new project, you can consider copying and pasting the code and configuration files from this book, then modifying them for your own customization needs.
Crammed with insightful instruction and helpful examples, this second edition of Android Recipes is your guide to writing apps for one of today’s hottest mobile platforms. It offers pragmatic advice that will help you get the job done quickly and well. This can save you a great deal of work over creating a project from scratch!
What you’ll learn
- Use external libraries to save time and effort
- Boost app performance by using the Android NDK and Renderscript
- Design apps for performance, responsiveness, and seamlessness
- Send data between devices and other external hardware
- Persist application data and share it between applications
- Capture and play back various device media items
- Communicate with web services
- Get the most out of your user interface
- Develop a unit conversion app in the context of the command-line/Android SDK and Eclipse/Android SDK environments
Who this book is for
This book is a handy reference for all Android app developers. Newcomers may also find this of interest, too.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Preliminary Information: Before We Get Started
Chapter 2. What’s Next? Our Road Ahead
Chapter 3. Setting Up Your Android Development Environment
Chapter 4. Introducing the Android Software Development Platform
Chapter 5. Android Framework Overview
Chapter 6. Screen Layout Design: Views and Layouts
Chapter 7. UI Design: Buttons, Menus, and Dialogs
Chapter 8. An Introduction to Graphics Resources in Android
Chapter 9. Adding Interactivity: Handling UI Events
Chapter 10. Understanding Content Providers
Chapter 11. Understanding Intents and Intent Filters
Chapter 12. Advanced Android Topics
- Paperback: 960 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 2nd Edition (December 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430246146
- ISBN-13: 978-1430246145