Revised and updated with improvements conceived in parallel programming courses, The Art of Multiprocessor Programming is an authoritative guide to multicore programming. It introduces a higher level set of software development skills than that needed for efficient single-core programming. This book provides comprehensive coverage of the new principles, algorithms, and tools necessary for effective multiprocessor programming. Students and professionals alike will benefit from thorough coverage of key multiprocessor programming issues.
- This revised edition incorporates much-demanded updates throughout the book, based on feedback and corrections reported from classrooms since 2008
- Learn the fundamentals of programming multiple threads accessing shared memory
- Explore mainstream concurrent data structures and the key elements of their design, as well as synchronization techniques from simple locks to transactional memory systems
- Visit the companion site and download source code, example Java programs, and materials to support and enhance the learning experience
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. Mutual Exclusion
Chapter 3. Concurrent Objects and Linearization Download Now »
How do you approach answering queries when your data is stored in multiple databases that were designed independently by different people? This is first comprehensive book on data integration and is written by three of the most respected experts in the field.
This book provides an extensive introduction to the theory and concepts underlying today’s data integration techniques, with detailed, instruction for their application using concrete examples throughout to explain the concepts. Data integration is the problem of answering queries that span multiple data sources (e.g., databases, web pages). Data integration problems surface in multiple contexts, including enterprise information integration, query processing on the Web, coordination between government agencies and collaboration between scientists. In some cases, data integration is the key bottleneck to making progress in a field.
The authors provide a working knowledge of data integration concepts and techniques, giving you the tools you need to develop a complete and concise package of algorithms and applications.
- Offers a range of data integration solutions enabling you to focus on what is most relevant to the problem at hand.
- Enables you to build your own algorithms and implement your own data integration applications
- Companion website with numerous project-based exercises and solutions and slides. Links to commercially available software allowing readers to build their own algorithms Download Now »
The gap between who designers and developers imagine their users are, and who those users really are can be the biggest problem with product development. Observing the User Experience will help you bridge that gap to understand what your users want and need from your product, and whether they’ll be able to use what you’ve created.
Filled with real-world experience and a wealth of practical information, this book presents a complete toolbox of techniques to help designers and developers see through the eyes of their users. It provides in-depth coverage of 13 user experience research techniques that will provide a basis for developing better products, whether they’re Web, software or mobile based. In addition, it’s written with an understanding of product development in the real world, taking tight budgets, short schedules, and existing processes into account.
Since the publication of the first edition, the business of user research has exploded with new technologies and new techniques. This second edition takes those changes into account with extensive revisions to existing topics. It also adds entirely new material on observational research, mobile usability, diary studies, remote research, and cross-cultural and multilingual projects.
- Explains how to balance usability with creativity and originality
- A valuable resource for designers, developers, project managers — anyone whose work affects the end user experience
- Provides a real-world perspective on research. Download Now »
Web site design and development continues to become more sophisticated. An important part of this maturity originates with well-laid-out and well-written content. Ginny Redish is a world-renowned expert on information design and how to produce clear writing in plain language for the web. All of the invaluable information that she shared in the first edition is included with numerous new examples. New information on content strategy for web sites, search engine optimization (SEO), and social media make this once again the only book you need to own to optimize your writing for the web.
- New material on content strategy, search engine optimization, and social media
- Lots of new and updated examples
- More emphasis on new hardware like tablets, iPads, and iPhones
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Content! Content! Content!
Chapter 2. Planning: Purposes, Personas, Conversations
Chapter 3. Designing for Easy Use
Chapter 4. Starting Well: Home Pages
Chapter 5. Getting There: Pathway Pages
Chapter 6. Breaking up and Organizing Content Download Now »
Data virtualization can help you accomplish your goals with more flexibility and agility. Learn what it is and how and why it should be used with Data Virtualization for Business Intelligence Systems. In this book, expert author Rick van der Lans explains how data virtualization servers work, what techniques to use to optimize access to various data sources and how these products can be applied in different projects. You’ll learn the difference is between this new form of data integration and older forms, such as ETL and replication, and gain a clear understanding of how data virtualization really works. Data Virtualization for Business Intelligence Systems outlines the advantages and disadvantages of data virtualization and illustrates how data virtualization should be applied in data warehouse environments. You’ll come away with a comprehensive understanding of how data virtualization will make data warehouse environments more flexible and how it make developing operational BI applications easier. Van der Lans also describes the relationship between data virtualization and related topics, such as master data management, governance, and information management, so you come away with a big-picture understanding as well as all the practical know-how you need to virtualize your data.
- First independent book on data virtualization that explains in a product-independent way how data virtualization technology works.
- Illustrates concepts using examples developed with commercially available products.
- Shows you how to solve common data integration challenges such as data quality, system interference, and overall performance by following practical guidelines on using data virtualization. Download Now »
Flash is fading fast as Canvas continues to climb. The second edition of this popular book gets you started with HTML5 Canvas by showing you how to build interactive multimedia applications. You’ll learn how to draw, render text, manipulate images, and create animation—all in the course of building an interactive web game throughout the book.
- Create and modify 2D drawings, text, and bitmap images
- Use algorithms for math-based movement and physics interactions
- Incorporate and manipulate video, and add audio
- Build a basic framework for creating a variety of games
- Use bitmaps and tile sheets to develop animated game graphics
- Go mobile: build web apps and then modify them for iOS devices
- Explore ways to use Canvas for 3D and multiplayer game applications
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to HTML5 Canvas
Chapter 2. Drawing on the Canvas Download Now »