Beginning iOS 5 Games Development
Game apps on iPhone and now iPad remain one of the most popular type of apps in the Apple iTunes App Store. Does Angry Birds ring a bell? What you were once able to do just for the iPhone (and iPod touch) is now possible for the popular iPad, using the new iOS 5 SDK.
Beginning iOS 5 Games Development provides a clear path for you to create games using the iOS 5 SDK platform for the iPad, iPhone, and iPad touch. You’ll learn how to use classes to create game apps, including graphics, and animations. The latest version of Xcode will be used in parts of the book to guide you along the way of building your apps.
Other topics include iOS 5 game apps development with the newest iOS Game Center update, persisting user data, and designing a compelling user experience. After reading this book, you’ll come away with the skills and techniques for building a game app, top to bottom, that could perhaps even be sold on the Apple iTunes App Store.
What you’ll learn
- How to use UIViews to display game assets
- How to create frame-by-frame animations for action games
- How to integrate with Game Center and other social media services
Who this book is for
This book is for new iOS developers who want to create compelling 2D games. A basic understanding of Xcode and Objective-C is assumed.
Table of Contents
- Introduction and HelloGame
- Setting Up your Game App Project
- Explore the Game App Life cycle
- Quickly Build an Input Driven Game
- Quickly Build a Frame by Frame Game
- Build Your Game: Game Engine, Image Actors, and Behaviors
- Build Your Game: Vector Actors and Particles
- Build Your Game: Understand Gestures and Movements
- Build Your Game: Apple’s Game Center and Social Media
- A Complete Example: Belt Commander
- Design and Create Graphics
- Monetizing via the Apple App Store
- Paperback: 344 pages
- Publisher: Apress (November 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430237104
- ISBN-13: 978-1430237105