Remember when an optimized website was one that merely didn’t take all day to appear? Times have changed. Today, website optimization can spell the difference between enterprise success and failure, and it takes a lot more know-how to achieve success.
This book is a comprehensive guide to the tips, techniques, secrets, standards, and methods of website optimization. From increasing site traffic to maximizing leads, from revving up responsiveness to increasing navigability, from prospect retention to closing more sales, the world of 21st century website optimization is explored, exemplified and explained.
Website Optimization combines the disciplines of online marketing and site performance tuning to attain the competitive advantage necessary on today’s Web. You’ll learn how to improve your online marketing with effective paid and natural search engine visibility strategies, strengthened lead creation and conversion to sales methods, and gold-standard ad copywriting guidelines. Plus, your increased site speed, reduced download footprint, improved reliability, and improved navigability will work synergistically with those marketing methods to optimize your site’s total effectiveness.
In this book for business and IT managers, author Andrew King, president of Website Optimization, LLC, has assembled experts in several key specialties to teach you:
- Search engine optimization — addressing best (and worst) practices to improve search engine visibility, including step-by-step keyword optimization guidelines, category and tag cloud creation, and guerilla PR techniques to boost inbound links and improve rankings
- Pay-per-click optimization — including ad copywriting guidelines, setting profit-driven goals, calculating and optimizing bids, landing page optimization, and campaign management tips
- Optimizing conversion rates — increasing leads with site landing page guidelines, such as benefit-oriented copy, credibility-based design, value hierarchies, and tips on creating unique selling propositions and slogans
- Web performance tuning — optimizing ways to use (X)HTML, CSS, and Ajax to increase speed, reduce your download footprint, and increase reliability
- Advanced tuning — including client-side techniques such as on-demand content, progressive enhancement, and inline images to save HTTP requests. Plus server-side tips include improving parallelism, using cache control, browser sniffing, HTTP compression, and URL rewriting to remap links and preserve traffic
- Web metrics — illustrating the best metrics and tools to gather details about visitors and measure web conversion and success rates. Covering both search marketing metrics and web performance measures including Pathloss and waterfall graphs
Website Optimization not only provides you with a strategy for success, it also offers specific techniques for you and your staff to follow. A profitable website needs to be well designed, current, highly responsive, and optimally persuasive if you’re to attract prospects, convert them to buyers, and get them to come back for more. This book describes precisely what you need to accomplish to achieve all of those goals.
Table of Contents
Part I: Search Engine Marketing Optimization
Chapter 1. Natural Search Engine Optimization
Chapter 2. SEO Case Study: PhillyDentistry.com
Chapter 3. Pay-per-Click Optimization
Chapter 4. PPC Case Study: BodyGlove.com
Chapter 5. Conversion Rate Optimization
Part II: Web Performance Optimization
Chapter 6. Web Page Optimization
Chapter 7. CSS Optimization
Chapter 8. Ajax Optimization
Chapter 9. Advanced Web Performance Optimization
Chapter 10. Website Optimization Metrics
- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media (July 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780596515089
- ISBN-13: 978-0596515089