Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL, 2nd Edition
There are many reasons for serving up dynamic content from a web site: to offer an online shopping site, create customized information pages for users, or just manage a large volume of content through a database. Anyone with a modest knowledge of HTML and web site management can learn to create dynamic content through the PHP programming language and the MySQL database. This book gives you the background and tools to do the job safely and reliably.
Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL, Second Edition thoroughly reflects the needs of real-world applications. It goes into detail on such practical issues as validating input (do you know what a proper credit card number looks like?), logging in users, and using templates to give your dynamic web pages a standard look.
Even while it serves as an introduction to new programmers, the book does not omit critical tasks that web sites require.
Through a sophisticated sample application–Hugh and Dave’s Wine Store–all the important techniques of dynamic content are introduced. Good design is emphasized, such as dividing logic from presentation. The book introduces PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1 features, while providing techniques that can be used on older versions of the software that are still in widespread use.
This new edition has been redesigned around the rich offerings of PEAR. Several of these, including the Template package and the database-independent query API, are fully integrated into examples and thoroughly described in the text.
- Installation and configuration of Apache, MySQL, and PHP on Unix®, Windows®, and Mac OS® X systems
- Introductions to PHP, SQL, and MySQL administration
- Session management, including the use of a custom database for improved efficiency
- User input validation, security, and authentication
- The PEAR repository, plus details on the use of PEAR DB and Template classes
- Production of PDF reports
- Paperback: 680 pages
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media; 2nd Edition (May 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0596005431
- ISBN-13: 978-0596005436