The Digital Matte Painting Handbook
The only how-to guide dedicated to mastering the technique of digital matte painting!
Matte painting affords seamless integration between an artist’s painting with live action film footage and allows for greater flexibility and creative input in the appearance of movie settings. This unique book reveals a variety of tools and techniques that are both industry and classroom tested and will enhance your existing skill set. Veteran author and instructor David Mattingly walks you through the process of creating a matte painting, starting with rough concept sketches, working out the perspective drawing, adding light and shadow, and texturing all of the elements in the painting. You’ll gradually upgrade to using Adobe After Effects and Autodesk Maya in order to fulfill your matte painting vision.
- Escorts you through the process of creating a matte painting, starting with the initial concept sketch, adding light and shadow, texturing elements, and incorporating motion and depth
- Author is an experienced matte artist and teacher and shares a plethora of unique industry- and classroom-tested tools and techniques
- Features helpful step-by-step instructions accompanied by screen shots and photos to illustrate the process of creating a matte painting
Whether you’re creating a background for a studio production, independent film, TV commercial, or YouTube video, The Digital Matte Painting Handbook helps you successfully complete your project.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
From the Back Cover
Create Stunning Backgrounds for Film, Video, Games, and Ads
If you want to create digital matte paintings that blend seamlessly into live-action footage, this is the perfect guide. Author David Mattingly was head of the Disney Studios Matte Department and has been a matte artist on major motion pictures such as The Black Hole, Dick Tracy, and I, Robot. In this unique how-to book and DVD, he teaches you his stellar techniques.
You’ll start with rough concept sketches in Photoshop and learn to add perspective, create light and shadow, add texture, and color-correct. Then you’ll switch from Photoshop to Adobe After Effects and Autodesk Maya to composite your matte in 3-D and camera-project it. The result? A skill set suitable for Hollywood! Artists of all levels will want this professional handbook on their desks.
- Get up to speed on the Photoshop workspace, tools, and custom brushes
- Master the essentials—composition, perspective, drawing, color, and form
- Create a castle and add illumination, dark shadows, and craggy texture
- Change daylight into night or summer into winter
- Prepare your Photoshop files for use in Maya camera projection
- Learn industry- and classroom-tested tools and techniques
Create a futuristic city over a moving plate
Make scenes go from day to night
Set up a vision of Hades in After Effects 3D space
Contains all the files needed to complete the projects in the book as well as companion videos to help drive home concepts.
- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Sybex (April 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470922427
- ISBN-13: 978-0470922422