The Business of iPhone and iPad App Development, 2nd Edition
The phenomenal success of the iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch has ushered in a “gold rush” for developers, but with well over 300,000 apps in the highly competitive App Store, it has become increasingly difficult for new apps to stand out in the crowd. Achieving consumer awareness and sales longevity for your iOS app requires a lot of organization and some strategic planning. Updated and expanded for iOS 4, this bestselling book will show you how to incorporate marketing and business savvy into every aspect of the design and development process, giving your app the best possible chance of succeeding in the App Store.
The Business of iPhone and iPad App Development was written by experienced developers with business backgrounds, taking you step-by-step through cost effective marketing techniques that have proven successful for professional iOS app creators—perfect for independent developers on shoestring budgets. No prior business knowledge is required. This is the book you wish you had read before you launched your first app!
What you’ll learn
- Analyze your ideas and competition, and identify your audience to evaluate sales potential.
- Protect your business and intellectual property and avoid potential legal hassles.
- Transform your iOS app into a powerful marketing tool.
- Build synergy with in-app cross-promotion and social media, and Apple’s Game Center.
- Utilize revenue-generating business models such as in-app advertising and In-App Purchase. Includes extensive coverage of the iAd framework and the Store Kit API.
- Improve usability and implement effective testing.
- Create a pre-release buzz online with Twitter, Facebook, blogs, and a dedicated web site.
- Successfully navigate the App Store submission process.
- Execute a post-release marketing strategy with press releases, app reviews, promotional sales and giveaways.
Who this book is for
This book is for any developer looking to build a successful business selling iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad apps in Apple’s iTunes App Store. All the code examples included in this book can be downloaded from http://iphonebusinessbook.com/
Table of Contents
- Seeing the Big Picture in a Crowded App Store Marketplace
- Doing Your Homework: Analyzing iOS App Ideas and Performing Competitive Research
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property
- Your iOS App Is Your Most Powerful Marketing Tool
- Social Inception: Promoting Your Apps Within Apps
- Money for Nothing: When It Pays to Be Free
- Monetizing Free Apps with iAd and Other In-App Advertising Opportunities
- Exploring the Freemium Model with In-App Purchase
- Testing and Usability: Putting Your Best Foot Forward
- Get the Party Started! Creating a Prerelease Buzz
- Keys to the Kingdom: The App Store Submission Process
- Increasing Awareness for Your iOS App
- Online Resources for App Research and Marketing
- Paperback: 480 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 2nd Edition (March 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1430233001
- ISBN-13: 978-1430233008