Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cookbook
ArcGIS is an industry standard geographic information system from ESRI.
This book will show you how to use the Python programming language to create geoprocessing scripts, tools, and shortcuts for the ArcGIS Desktop environment.
This book will make you a more effective and efficient GIS professional by showing you how to use the Python programming language with ArcGIS Desktop to automate geoprocessing tasks, manage map documents and layers, find and fix broken data links, edit data in feature classes and tables, and much more.
“Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cookbook” starts by covering fundamental Python programming concepts in an ArcGIS Desktop context. Using a how-to instruction style you’ll then learn how to use Python to automate common important ArcGIS geoprocessing tasks.
In this book you will also cover specific ArcGIS scripting topics which will help save you time and effort when working with ArcGIS. Topics include managing map document files, automating map production and printing, finding and fixing broken data sources, creating custom geoprocessing tools, and working with feature classes and tables, among others.
In “Python ArcGIS 10.1 Programming Cookbook” you’ll learn how to write geoprocessing scripts using a pragmatic approach designed around an approach of accomplishing specific tasks in a Cookbook style format.
What you will learn from this book
- Fundamental Python programming skills
- Update layer properties and symbology
- Automate map production, printing, and the creation of PDF map books
- Find and fix broken data links in your map document files
- Create custom geoprocessing tools that can be shared with others
- Schedule your geoprocessing scripts to run after hours
- Create new feature classes or tables and add records, as well as edit feature classes and tables
- Customize the ArcGIS Desktop interface with Python add-ons
This book is written in a helpful, practical style with numerous hands-on recipes and chapters to help you save time and effort by using Python to power ArcGIS to create shortcuts, scripts, tools, and customizations.
Who this book is for
“Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cookbook” is written for GIS professionals who wish to revolutionize their ArcGIS workflow with Python. Basic Python or programming knowledge is essential(?).
- Paperback: 304 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (February 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849694443
- ISBN-13: 978-1849694445