Construct Game Development: Beginner’s Guide
Construct Classic is a free, DirectX 9 game creator for Windows, designed for 2D games. Construct Classic uses an event-based system for defining how the game behaves, in a visual, human-readable way – you don’t need to program or script anything at all. It’s intuitive for beginners, but powerful enough for advanced users to work without hindrance. You never know when you’ll need a helping hand exploring its inner workings, or harnessing its raw power to do your bidding.
Construct Game Development Beginner’s Guide is the book for you if you have ever felt the urge to make a game of your own. Reading this book will not only teach you to make some popular games using Construct, but you’ll also learn the skills necessary to continue on and bring your game ideas to life.
Starting as a beginner to Construct Classic, you’ll be learning to make platform, puzzle, and shooter games, each styled after popular games of their genre.
This guide covers everything from creating animated sprites, to using the built-in physics and shadow engines of Construct Classic. You will learn the skills necessary to make advanced games of your own.
Construct Game Development Beginner’s Guide will lead you on your journey of making games.
What you will learn from this book
- Navigate the interface of Construct Classic with ease
- Create 2D games inspired by some of the most popular games in history
- Use the built-in physics engine of Construct Classic
- Create level editors for your games
- Create enemy AI for platformers and shooters
- Use the shadow casters and lighting effects in Construct Classic to create realistic environments
- Use pixel shader effects of Construct Classic to create stunning visuals
- Additional tips and tricks that will improve your future games
This is a beginner’s guide with plenty of screenshots and step-by-step instructions. Through three sample games, the reader will learn about practically creating games with Construct.
Who this book is for
If you have thought of making a game of your own, this book is for you. All you need to know is that you can and how to operate a computer!
- Paperback: 298 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (May 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 184951660X
- ISBN-13: 978-1849516600